Saw Chain – A unique feature of all our chains is their full-house design which simply means the chain circlet consists of consecutive left and right teeth – the teeth are not separated by skip links common to standard chain saw. All our blades have twice the amount of regular teeth resulting in the blade powering its way through the hardest of woods and other soft non-ferrous materials. This important feature, combined with the speed of the angle grinder rotating at between 10,000 to 13,000 rpm provides users with the most efficient and powerful cutting and shaping power tool accessory in the world.
Safety – Should the blade hit a nail or piece of wire in wood, on most occasions it will cut through the obstruction. If not, the impact will cause the chain to stop while the discs rotate giving the user a warning to stop the angle grinder. This is a major safety feature which virtually eliminates kickback and binding. All our chains are easily sharpened with a 5/32″ (4mm) chain saw file.
Center Hole Sizes – Lancelot and Squire are available in three center hole sizes. For the American market the two most common are 5/8″ (16mm) and 7/8″ (22mm). For the European market they are 14mm and 22mm (7/8″).
Part Numbering System – King Arthur’s Tools has a simple part number coding system for our large cutters. For example, where the first number is either a 3 or 4, 3 refers to Squire and 4 means Lancelot, the middle two numbers are the center hole size and the last two numbers are the number of teeth. So a 45822 is a Lancelot with 5/8″ center hole and 22 teeth. A 31412 is a Squire with 14mm center hole and 12 teeth. The 14mm tools are primarily for European angle grinders. Please specify model, center hole and chain sizes when ordering.
BLADE ASSEMBLY & GRINDER USE
HOW TO ADJUST THE SAFETY GUARD
IMPORTANT: DO NOT OPERATE LANCELOT OR SQUIRE WITHOUT FIRST ADJUSTING THE SAFETY GUARD ON YOUR ANGLE GRINDER.
Lancelot and Squire are versatile blades which will cut in any direction. Whether using a 22 tooth or 14 tooth Lancelots or 18 or 12 tooth Squire, the following usage information will apply to all models.
Do NOT use Lancelot or Squire on any Makita brand grinders. DO NOT USE LANCELOT OR SQUIRE BLADES WITH ANY HITACHI, METABO OR METABO HPT PRODUCT.
We only recommend use of 4-1/2″ (115mm) angle grinders with a constant pressure switch (paddle, kill or dead man switch). Refer to FAQ, Angle grinders, Can you recommend any specific grinders?
After properly adjusting the Safety Guard for use with Lancelot / Squire Cutters:
- Secure your work piece in a work bench, vise or manner that insures it is safe to cut.
- Wear protective safety clothing and ensure all instructions for the assembly of our tools have been faithfully carried out!
- You will see constant references to Lancelot, however, you can assume the same principles apply to Squire should you use Squire on its own.
- I’m going to refer to wood as the object being cut, however, if your subject is ice, bonsai trees, rubber or any other soft non-ferrous materials, the cutting techniques are the same.
- The depth of cut on Lancelot is 1-3/16″, Squire is 11/16″.
- These tips are written for right hand use carving simply because our tools fit right hand angle grinders. The standard hand position is to lightly but firmly grip the auxiliary handle with your left hand and the body of the grinder with your right. There’s no need to use a vise grip and make your knuckles go white with the pressure – you’ll exert much easier control with a firm relaxed grip.